SOME HISTORY OF MYKOLAYIV AND ITS REGION.
THE MEMORY OF THE CENTURIES
The museum of shipbuilding and navy – the landmark of Mykolayiv.
The museum is situated in one of the oldest buildings on Admiralskaya str. In the first half of the 19th century it was the house of the Commander-in-Chief of the Black Sea Navy, where the famous admiralss O. Greig, M. Lazarev, V. Kornilov, P. Nachimov and V. Istomin worked. The museum provide an overview on the history of Mykolayiv shipbuildeing, starting from wind-driven frigates to the atomic aerocarriers.
A famous admiral and scientist S.Y. Makarov was born in Nikolaev.
The monument to the founder of the city Prince H.O. Potiomkin.
The walk along Admiralskaya – from the first admiralty to the House of the Officers is a good chance to understand the character of Mykolayiv.
Famous are 68 participants of the landing troops of K.F. Ol’shansky who took part on the liberation of the city in March, 1944. The monument to ol’shantsi with eternal light is a sacred place for the citizens.
The monument for the first builder of the city M.L. Faleev, an assistant of Prince Potiomkin.
One of the most attractive characteristics of Mykolayiv are the wide and straight treets. The historical center of the city – low old mansions built from the limestone are decorated with the pillars and sculpture.